Sunday, October 23, 2011

Will Cable Become Obsolete?


In a USA Weekend article that I got out of the paper, it stated "Some people are ditching cable and satellite television- and their $75 average monthly tab. Instead, they're signing up for HULU Plus ($8 a month), Netflix streaming (another $8) for movies, and renting $1 DVDs from the Redbox in the supermarket. Not for you? You could still save by shedding premium channels and supplementing with some of these services - particularly if you are not watching many of them anyway. A recent Neilsen study showed Americans now have about 130 channels available on average, but they watch only 18."

So my question is this, with all of the new, more cost-friendly services that are available, will this have an impact on cable? Personally, I think this could be the case. Recently, all cable switched to digital from analog. Analog has become a thing of the past. This could happen to cable as well.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I have never thought about this. When I have a show that I like to watch, I watch it on Xfinity or Hulu at my convenience...and when I want to watch tv, it is usually just to have background noise. All my major shows that I follow I actuall prefer NOT to watch them on tv. Which is odd, I guess. Why do you think cable is going to be a thing of the past?

    ReplyDelete